Pages

Saturday 12 July 2014

Learning in Coursera

From my previous writings about my Coursera certificates, you might wonder about the beginning of  my learning in Coursera. I first knew Coursera from my Mom, and my Mom knew it from one of her friend, who is a science teacher in a school called German School. Coursera is an online course where you can learn anything that your heart desires. When I and my Mom explored the courses in Coursera, we found a course called Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets. I was pretty interested in it, especially when I love history ( at that time I love history, but now I love astronomy too!). So I enrolled in the course, the course was very fun!  That caused me to like Coursera so I enrolled in more courses that I was interested in, mostly about writing, music, and archaeology.

Why do I like Coursera? It's because Coursera offers so many courses that I like. In Coursera, there are two options in some courses of how to take the course. First option is free course, the other one is to take the course with paying. If you pay, the course is still the same only they guarantee that your certificate ( if you pass ) is traceable in their data base . It is called verified certificate, but you must be  at least thirteen years old, for child safety. I was 9 yo last year when I first joined,  so I couldn't join the verified one. I have to wait for several years more.
Now back to me. After the archaeology course, I joined Dino 101, but I failed to get the certificate (I got 77.9 % from a minimum of 80%). It was my fault because that day I joined too many courses at once. So I rejoined it, because I'm interested in dinosaurs too! After I rejoined, I earned 96.7%.

Then, I see more courses and put more and more courses into my watchlist. The watchlist is for the courses that we would like to join next time. After that I joined writing course called Crafting an Effective Writer, Tools of the Traits ( Fundamental English Writing ). I earned 87.6% because my English grammar is not too good.

Because I love music, I joined this course called Exploring Beethoven's Piano Sonatas. The course was still too hard for me, like comparing one Beethoven's sonata to another, what's the difference, that's still too hard for me. So I made maybe two or three mistakes in the quiz of five questions, so I thought I will not get a statement of accomplishment, but I got it! I earned 76.6%. Lucky me.

What is the difference between learning in a school and in Coursera? Absolutely is the freedom! You are free to choose the subject that you are interested and free to manage yourself in the learning process in Coursera. The school is the opposite, because they have fixed subjects and fixed schedule, that maybe don't fit you.

After for a while, I found a course called The Art and Archaeology of Ancient Nubia  It's about archaeology, I joined it, I nearly got 100%, because in almost all of the quizzes I got all correct answers except a quiz that I carelessly answer, so I earned 98.8% with distinction. It is the highest point among all of the four courses that I'd attended.
In my last writing, I showed all of the certificates that I got, but not the Nubia certificate yet.
So here's my certificate:
It looks a bit short because I cropped it.
I hope all of you will enjoy learning in Coursera too. The lessons vary from politics to mathematics. You can share your certificates that you earned with me. Learn well, work hard, then you will achieve something that make you proud either now or in the future.

No comments: